St Brynach's Church, Llanfrynach near Cowbridge
(200yds south of The Cross Inn)
A 12th century church that, other than standing as a restoration of a tower, remains largely as it was when it served the village of Llanfrynach. Still, it has has no gas, electricity or water.
The church is the parish of Penllyn - about a mile to the North. The original village of which it served Llanfrynach was wiped out by the Black Death in the 14th century. Some parts of the village are located inside the entrance gate on the right. The tower was extensively rebuilt in 2002 with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund and CADW.
The church is located down a country lane approximately 200yds from The Cross Inn although hidden from view by trees it sits in a beautifu tranquil and often sunny opening. The keys are kept at The Cross INn and are available for visitors to view the inside of the church.
St Quentins Castle
(1.2mile north of The Cross Inn)
The Vale of Glamorgan has one of the highest densities of castles anywhere in the world - St Quentins Castle is one of four within just 2 miles of The Cross Inn, situated on a bluff above the river Thaw, in the nearby village of Llanblethian.
Around 1102, Robert Fitzhamon, the first Normal Lord of Glamorgan, bequeathed the lands of Llanblethian as a lordship to Herbeert de St Quentin who is thought to have built the first fortification at the site of the castle. This initial construct was believed to have been a simple ringwork defence with timber walls, a bank and ditch. A rectangular stone keep was built in the late 12th century.